Friday, April 20, 2012

Flashback Friday...you've got a friend in me

I guess technically all of the posts over the last two weeks have been flashbacks, but these pictures are quite a few years old and scanned from prints.  Anyway, I wish you all could have seen the two of these girls in action.  From the moment they met, Payton had her sight set on Isabella and I think she was really excited to have a playmate, even a tiny tan and yippy pug at one forth of her weight.  When Payton got home from our first trip to Chicago after being diagnosed with PDE, she wasn't allowed near other dogs for three months.  It was a tough time for many reasons, as you can imagine, but it was hard for Izzy too.  I think she missed her friend.  The nature of their relationship changed, Payton just wasn't the same dog, but their bond remained.

~~~~~~~~~~

♫♪♫
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles
From your nice warm bed
Just remember what your old pal said
You've got a friend in me
You've got troubles, well I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and we see it through
You've got a friend in me
Some other folks might be
A little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too
Maybe
But none of them will ever love you the way I do
It's me and you
And as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see
It's our destiny
You've got a friend in me
♫♪♫

With all of the most awesome friends I have met (both in the fur and here in Blogville), I got to thinking about my first best friend.  I have published only a few posts about Isabella, but she was such a big part of my life that I wanted to share a few more pictures of us together.  We could not be more different, but she taught me a lot.  And even after I got sick and didn't want to play with her like I did before (as demonstrated in my "playing with a big dog" post), Izzy stayed by my side.  We were two peas in a pod.



Isabella was a beast sometimes, but I could tame her.  You know you've found a great friend when they don't mind you sitting on their head while sleeping.  Hehee!

Love,
Payton

~~~~~~~~~~

After Izzy's passing in December 2007, we didn't seek out opportunities for Payton to meet new doggie friends.  But in the last year since starting the blog, which brought about many great meet-ups, we were so surprised and proud that she really became quite the social butterfly and kept getting more comfortable with other pugs.  Now don't get me wrong, she didn't actually socialize WITH the pugs, Payton just tolerated being in their presence if it meant getting to explore new places and going on adventures and getting extra treats.  She was fortunate to have spent the most time with girlfriends, and despite her aloof attitude, the connection with Tiffy and Suki was clear.  Payton felt instantly at home with Tiffy at her house (her peeps live there too!) and the two quickly became partners in crime, trying to track down every last crumb in the kitchen and pantry.  Suki was like her little sister.  Their relationship reminded me a bit like that Payton shared with Isabella.  She had Payton's back in Texas and when asking her friend to play by getting all up in Payton's face, it didn't phase Miss P one bit and she even tolerated the active youngster like any good big sis would (which as Vito and Vinny know, as witnessed by Hank, wasn't the reaction Payton had during her very first pug encounter!).  She was so fortunate to have met those pugs as well as Sid (who I think is Payton's male alter-ego), Southern Fried Pugs, Pug, Gracie (and Arnie and Levi),the entire Pugpant gang, Salinger, Mia, The Pug Posse, the late angel Yoda, Brutus, Ellie, and a few other Indy pugs.  So many wonderful pugs (and their peeps), but so many that aren't in that list.  I wish you all could have met Payton and likewise her *snub unless holding a treat*, I mean, meet all of you!

Love,
Christy

11 comments:

Meredith LeBlanc said...

Those pictures are darling! I wish Payton and Scarlet had met in the fur. Someday they will play together and be fast friends I'm sure. Until then, I'm guessing Miss P is sitting in Nicki's head in Heaven ~ she wouldn't mind that one bit.

♥♥♥
Meredith & Scarlet

Sammy and Neko said...

Awww, that is so cute : ) I am not worried, I am going to meet her up there someday.

Lots of loves to you, Christy.

tubby3pug said...

I wish we had met Payton too, but I feel like I have known her through your wonderful blog

urban hounds

Noodles said...

There is nothing like a good friend and FURIEND. So far Noodles only has human friends. She is trying, though. Maybe someday she will find her Isabella.
I am loving all of the Payton posts. They make us feel like she is still around making us giggle and smile.
Love Noodles' Mommy #2

Kitty+Coco said...

Man, she sure did meet lots of blogger pals. How cool is that? We kind of appreciate her aloof manner. That way you know you are REALLY special if she layed on your head :)

Sabrina PugTails said...

What sweet photos, and memories. They did make a great pair.
Licks,
Sabrina

Maddy and Owen said...

What sweet pictures! We are glad that you are sharing and that you had such wonderful doggies in your life :)
Wags,
Maddy and Owen

Tweedles -- that's me said...

I love this story about Payton and Isabella. And I love the photo.
Its funny how we sometimes thing each of us are "social butterflys" as you indicated,, but sometimes we do exactly as you said (tollerate),
That's me. I have never been around others,, so to me- the whole world looks like monsters..
But Payton did make friends,, and we loved reading this post along with all the others.
We love you
tweedles

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

We love the pics of Payton and Izzy.

Pugs & Kisses,

Brutus & Ellie

Pug Slope said...

Those are really cute photos of Payton and Izzy. Based on that first photo, it looks like it may have been Izzy who taught Payton how to rest her head on things. And maybe at first Payton got it the other way 'round, as in the second photo ("should I rest my head ON someone, or REST ON someone else's head? hmmm...").

I'm feel very blessed that I got to meet Miss P! I'm so glad so many others did as well.

-Love,
Sid.

World of Animals, Inc said...

Thanks for sharing these sweet photos. They were such great friends and did everything together. Have a beautiful rest of your day.
World of Animals