Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Payton's Guest Post for Wilma's Blog:

Wilma's Friends Wednesday Words of Wisdom

Hi everybody! It's almost Wednesday, and you know what that means? It's time for my friends' words of wisdom!

This week, our dear friend Payton of Pugnacious P has presented a wonderful guest post, full of wisdom. Thanks to Payton, for being so generous, and forthright in sharing her story here with us. There is quite a bit to learn from Payton, so don't stop here. If you haven't already, go on over and check out Payton's blog. Tell her Wilma sent you.
**********************

“If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.”

When talking to my friend, Gracie the Agility Pug, she reminded me of the classic expression, “If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.” That got me thinking; I’ve been dealing with lemons since birth! It may just need to become my motto.

I don’t really remember much before my mom and dad, but they have no doubt I was from a puppy mill…talk about lemons! I’ve only told a handful of people this, but my parents saved me from a pet store. Mom and dad totally knew better. Despite only wanting to get a rope toy for my best friend Isabella the giant schnauzer, they shouldn’t have even gone in a store that sells dogs and cats instead of holding adoption fairs. But when they saw me, it was all over. They were already thinking about getting a pug, and they just couldn’t stand the thought of what may happen to me if they didn’t take me home. Mom and dad are somewhat ashamed as they know how it encouraged things they appall; however, on the other hand, especially knowing what we do now about my health, they are confident the right decision was made and it was totally meant to be. It is highly likely that I would not be here today if mom and dad didn’t rescue me. I was blessed with the perfect family, who could take care of me and my, um, issues. And I like to think that I add a certain amount of indescribable specialness to their lives too! My life had a very ill-fated beginning and certainly there are regrettable aspects of how I got a forever home, but the story has a very happy ending. And we drink that lemonade all the time.

The second major bag of lemons was dealt just over 5 years ago. Pug Dog Encephalitis. I’m not going to lie that there aren’t difficult times because of my disease. But Gracie reminded me that we certainly make the most out of every situation. Instead of dwelling on my illness, we use the quarterly check-ups with my neurologist as an opportunity to have fun vacations in a great city (Chicago)! Lucky for me, mom and dad have never put limitations on me (within reason) just because I’m sick, so we go on lots of adventures, even at home. And someone I love is always with me…24 hours a day! I’m not sure it get’s much better than that. Lastly, my mom and I probably wouldn’t have started my blog if I didn’t have this disease. And that means that I would not have had the privilege of meeting all of you, this wonderful blogging community of pugs, dogs, and peeps!

So take it from me, enjoy life to the fullest and make every day count even if you are dealt with some nasty lemons because you can always make some tasty lemonade!

Love,
Payton

**********************
Hi, it's Wilma again. I just wanted to add, that for the record, I am very proud that Payton shared with us, how she found her way to her family. Some folks might get upset that Payton came from a puppy mill originally. In my opinion, this was just how it had to be. Many times, we find our humans, they don't find us. Payton needed her parents. Who knows what would have happened to her if they did not feel that strong connection with her. If they did not go against what they believed in to save Payton. Because save her they did, and made it better that most people are capable of. I for one, am very grateful for that, and clearly, so is she!

Love you girlfriend!
**********************

No comments: