Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Payton's battle with PDE...seizure types

Hi everyone.  This is kind of a serious post today.  I had an "episode" recently where I fainted.  After I was just starting to come out of a seizure, I completely passed out in my mom's arms, limp as a wet noodle.  I scared her and my Gammy.  For a split second they thought I might have died, but quickly realized I was still breathing.  Once I woke up, I was completely fine.  I don't know what all the fuss is about, but mom was nervous and didn't know what happened so she contacted Dr. Podell, who has ordered some heart related tests at my local vet.  I'll be going in for an appointment later today to finally get my stitches removed and for thoracic radiographs.  He also wants me to get a screening ECG, but my local vet doesn't do that, so I may need to see the cardiologist in the same specialty center where Dr. Podell works.  All of this reminded my mom that she's never really dedicated a post to the kinds of seizures that I have.  So I said she could take over the blog for 10 treats and a new toy.  And don't worry, I'm holding her to it!

Hi everyone!  Christy here.  Unfortunately, Payton has now added a new kind of seizure to her repertoire, bringing the total variations up to 3.  I've briefly mentioned 2 of them in previous posts, but feel that I should take the time to describe each in more detail so the information is available.  But please don't be alarmed...


...Payton is doing GREAT!  Even despite her recent fainting episode (although we'd sure appreciate your thoughts and prayers that there isn't anything serious that may have been the cause). 

The first kind of seizure that Payton experienced didn't have a trigger outside of the disease itself.  These were sometimes mild focal seizures (twitching or muscle spasms) in the face or legs and usually progressed to full body convulsions/tremors with foaming at the mouth.  There were the kind of seizures she had at the beginning and during 2 or 3 relapses when the disease had progressed and her medications needed to be modified.  The focal seizures are constant, but the full body seizures usually last about 30 seconds to a full minute and cluster in groups and get worse or repeat every so often without medical intervention.  This is when we've had to give her Diazapam and rush her to the vet.  I am so happy to say that Payton hasn't had one of these in a really long time.

About a year and a half to two years ago, Payton developed what we call "bathroom" seizures.  These have been occurring about once every week or two after or just before Payton has to eliminate.  They are full body seizures that start mild then turn severe with her front legs stiff, back legs kicking/pulsing, and her head leaning to the right with a left eye twitch (although rarely she has leaned toward the left with a right eye twitch since the disease has progressed to both sides of her brain).  Dr. Podell has explained that most likely the part of the brain that controls bathroom processes is impaired and gets "irritated" triggering a seizure if she is concentrating too hard.  And since Payton is always trying to find the best spot, sometimes she does get a bit too focused.  And for some reason, the cold makes these worse and occur more often (hence the need for her Porch Potty and finished garage).  This is something that Payton will have to live with.

Lastly, and most recently (like only a couple of months ago), she has started having what we now call "excited" seizures.  Payton has only had a handful of these and they seem to be triggered when she gets, well, super excited.  Like when she is hyped with anticipation just before a meal time combined with the thrill of dad coming home or Gammy stopping by for a visit.  She gets herself all worked up, jumping and kissing/licking, to the point where her breathing becomes labored triggering a short (about only 10 to 20 seconds) and more mild seizure with all legs straight and her head thrown back and pressed to the left.  This is the kind of seizure that Payton had when she seemed to pass out.  As Payton said, she'll have some tests done, and we'll be seeing Dr. Podell around the New Year so we can talk in detail about what may be going on.  In the mean time, we are now being very careful about when my husband or I come home or family and friends visit.

I should say that with all kinds of seizures, Payton seems to be conscious, but I must admit it is kinda hard to tell with the really intense ones.  And as to be expected, the more she has the more she is impacted long term with poor to non-existent hearing and eyesight and impaired muscle control in her left legs, particularly the back one.  But as many of you already know, Payton is a fighter and her love for life (and food!) shadows all of these difficulties!


She is my inspiration and my angel.  What a tough little cookie!

Love,
Christy (and Payton)

33 comments:

Frank The Tank said...

Hi Payton, I feel for you and your family, I really do! It must have been so scary for your poor Mom and Grammy, I hope that you are feeling alright now, you are such a wonderful inspiration and not to mention the cutest Puggy I have EVER SEEN and you are such a fighter, I’m glad that you post about all your problems and the difficulties you have to go through as it makes me feel so proud of you and all you have been through, I’m sure that you will help so many other dogs and people with all the information you give! I'm glad that you are going to the Doctors to get treated and you have all my prayers, all my love, you are constantly in my thoughts and I send you positive healthy thoughts with power of pug paw and good juju! Love, Licks, Phugs and big snuggles Frank xxxxxxx

Minnie and Mack said...

Oh, Payton. We're so sorry to hear about the new kind of seizure. We are praying for you and your family. You sure are a fighter! and how hard will it be to keep a pug from being excited???? We know your Mom and Dad and Grandma and Grampy will work extra hard to help keep your seizures to a minimum along with Dr. Podell and his friends.

Mack is sending extra pug juju your way long with extra kisses and licks and snuggles!

We love you,
Minnie and Mack

Gracie the Agility Pug said...

I'm so glad you're OK. Enjoy ALL those treats you were promised, and stay well.

moPSY+MISIOber said...

Oh Payton, your mom is right, you are fighter and tough little cookie ;) I'm happy your are fine now, but I little worry about you :( Hope your tests will be ok, and please please try to stay calm!!! Enjoy your treats and new toy, hope you'll show us it tommorow :) I'm sending tones of juju your way, and think about you all the time!!! love you Misiober

Meredith LeBlanc said...

Payton, we admire your strength to live with your PDE with such grace. And we're very grateful that your Mom takes the time to tell us about your seizures and doctors. It helps the rest us us to realize how truly special you are.

Lots of love & good vibes to you Divine Miss P!
Meredith & Scarlet

moPSY+MISIOber said...

oh and one more thing, I'm sending BIG HUGS to your mom !! I know (unfortunatelly) what she goes through! Christy you are also tough!! not a cookie but girl ;) I realy admire you ! kisses Gosia

Two Pugs in a Pod said...

We love you Payton girl. Stay strong, keep on kicking that PDE butt.

Tucker and Lola said...

Oh Payton, you just can't catch a break here lately, can you? We are sending lots of hugs and prayers that there is nothing new going on with you. Your such a brave girl.
My Mom knows how hard it is for your Mom too, Tucker has seizures and she says no matter how many times you have seen it that each one still breaks your heart. Tucker stays conscious when he is seizing too and if Mom isn't right there beside him he will actually try to crawl to get to her when they start. Mom usually catches them because Tucker shows signs about 5 minutes before a seizure starts and since he rarely leaves her side she is always right there with him. His medication is working very good right now and he has been seizure free for a few months.

Crabbie Chris said...

Ok..got my good juju tutu back on for Payton. Dang Payton, you're like the toughest chick I've ever known. You have an awesome family that totally digs ya.

Seriously, your blog is helping other pug people who have suffered the same thing. Sometimes humans might not know where to turn and get help, so it's great that they have Payton! I think you should sport a super pug costume!

Mia said...

Payton, it's not nice to worry everyone like this!! If you wanted extra noms, you should have just sneaked them from the kitchen like the rest of us!!!! Momma and I have fingers, toes and paws crossed that the vet doesn't find anything serious.

Bellatrix is right, you so need a cape!!!!! A pink one!!!

~kisses~

Mia

Punchbugpug said...

Payton sure is a rare little spitfire Pug!!! We send HUGE hugs to her and you!

Love,
Punchy, Chloe, Zoey, Rosie, Marty, Kiki & Stewie!

Anonymous said...

OH Dear Payton,
In the few months we have been following your blog we have come to love you sooo much. You are the most special,awesome pug ever with the most special,awesome family!!! We will be praying for all of you that all is well.

The PugRanch Kids in Idaho
Bailey and Hazel

Kelly said...

Payton,
Please thank your sweet momma for sharing all of this helpful info. I am sending tons of love your way and hoping that these seizures leave you alone!
xoxo
Pearl

Crabbie Chris said...

Payton...got the pug sluts on it...now you're really in for it!!!

Kari in Alaska said...

So scary. Sending love

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

MochiMachoMarshmallow said...

Hey Payton,

You're one tough cookie. Sending you JUJU and love.

Love
3M's

Mimi said...

Payton & Mommie,

My puggie coalition (Bella, Cullen, Joey, Trudy and baby Otto) and I send you tons of love,snorts and puggie health juju!! *hugs*

Archie and Melissa said...

oh payton is the sweetest and toughest little cookie!

thank you for taking the time to share all of this important information.

Christy, you help so many people!

we will check in to see how your appt went today.

xoxox
m & a

Chicas Libelulas said...

Hola Christy & Payton!
We are Sad you had a new seizure but are Happy you are feeling better, We are Sending Lot of Good JUJU and Prayers!! Hoping no more bad Seizure thingy come back!!!Hugs and Bechos
Spongy,Licky & Patrick

agent99 said...

Uh oh, Payton! That's not good news! We are sending you positive pug power and anti-seizure juju.
Luv
Gen, the Foo & Ruby too

Pug Slope said...

Hiya Payton! I'm so sorry to hear about this recent seizure. That must have been terrifying for your Mom and Gammy. I hope all your tests go well and that everything checks out ok.

I also get really excited at meal time, too. I screech at the top of my lungs and pop around the apartment like a ping pong ball. My 'rents say the neighbors must think I'm getting beat up or something! I'm just getting pumped for D-I-N-N-E-R (newflash Mom and Dad, I know how to spell)!

Well, in light of this news about your new type of seizure, I think it might help to think calm non-food thoughts while your 'rents are preparing your tasty vittles.

Maybe you can think of your favorite spot to sniff, or that blade of grass that smells so good you can't resist peeing on it, or all your cool pug friends that you've met in the fur or over the internet. Or maybe imagine resting your head on the ultimate bolster. Ahhhh...

Thank you for providing all that great info for other pugs that may be suffering from seizures. You have amazing parents, Payton, and you are one amazing pug!

-Love,
Sid.

dw said...

Aw, geez, Payton, I'm sorry you're having another kind of seizure and scaring your mamma like that! I'm sending you a ton of good juju that it's nothing serious. I know you're a fighter and will battle this like you do everything else, but geez! Take care, my furiend!

Opaka said...

Best wishes Payton, that's a lot you're dealing with and adding more into the mix must be tough. I'm thinking of you and sending juju vibes.

Suki said...

Oh Payton,
You are one tough cookie. I'm concentrating really hard & sending positive juju to you & your family. I hope Dr P will make your seizures happen less often, better yet, not at all.

Hugs,
Suki

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

Payton - you sure are tough!! We are sending some positive juju your way.

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda, Brutus & Ellie

Hank said...

Sweet Payton, we know you can handle anything but we still pray you stay strong.

We love you!

Sarah and Hank

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

Payton we hope you are doing ok we love seeing your big brown eyes especially in your cue pink sweatshirt. We send you love and hugs.

The girls

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Dear Payton
I just wanted to let you know that I keep sending prayers and positive thoughts to you and your family.
Yes, you are a tough cookie for sure and a real fighter.
We are beside you - even when you don't know it. The world loves you.
love
tweedles

Wilma said...

Oh, dear Payton. Thank you for bringing us up to speed on the recent developments. We are keeping our paws crossed that the recent new seizures will not be the result of any other problems. You are one tough cookie, girlfriend and I know you are very thankful for your wonderful parents for taking such great care of you. Give them some extra smooches tonight!

Salinger The Pug said...

OMG PAYTON!!!! We're so glad that you're ok now and that you just had "The Vapors"!

Mom, Dad, Holden and I all send you big hugs, soft voices and kisses on your head.

Mom also sends an extra set of hugs to your mom and dad, Gammy and Gampy.

Now quit scaring the crap out of us and get back to your post in the kitchen! Don't you know the SUPERBOWL of FOODABLES is coming up?

Love,
S-Dog

Noodles said...

Payton,
Lessee, where did I put it . . . AH, here it is - some extra special JUJU for one of my BESTIES! Please beat this seizure monster up! I, Princess Pug Noodles, demand it.
Please take care and have a restful Thanksgiving to you and your 'rents.
Love the Noodles the Pug family.

Vito and Gina said...

Payton! Stop scaring your mom & dad & gammy & gampy like that! Oh my goodness! Wow, seizures sound so scary. You are so lucky to have the best family in the world to get you all the help in the world. You are so loved, Payton!! And SOOOO strong!

Unknown said...

Payton...you are Carlotta's hero at this moment...so please, lets fight together,.. and hopefully dr Podell will find out the best way to help you out!!! Love you!!! Carlotta is sending you a big hug and kiss!!! Give your mommy and daddy lots of love as you usually do...
You are on our Prayers!!!
Luv,
Erika, Carlotta and Briggy