Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Life in a cone...

Before I talk about me today, I must say how overwhelmed my family is with the support and love that all of my great blogville friends gave me yesterday.  I know it helped me and it means so much!  So thank you, thank you, thank you!

About a month ago my parents found a bump on the back of my right ear.  They thought it was either a mole or one of those calcium things that I get because of prolonged steroid use (Prednisone).  But this last weekend, they checked it again and the thing had doubled in size and felt like a cyst.  So off to the vet I went Monday afternoon.  She thought it looked a bit suspicious and took some fluid.  There were some cancer indicators, but not a lot.  However, given that I have had a rare skin cancer before and practically everything else on the planet, my vet and Dr. Podell said it had to go just to be sure.  My mom was nervous because using anesthesia is extra risky with PDE.

So Tuesday morning rolls around, and you won't believe what torture I endured.  No breakfast!  I think, have my peeps finally lost it?!?  But I go back to bed anyway...starving.  Then mom wakes me up and takes me for a ride to the vet.  And although my mom says that Mascoutah Animal Hospital is great and that they took such excellent care of me, the next thing I know, I wake up and look like this!

Is this a joke?  If so, it's not funny!
2 stitches, but they don't hurt.
I have to wear this thing for 2 weeks until my stitches are removed.  UGH!  I was not happy, but honestly I could care less about the cone because I was about to pass out from lack of food.  I felt like I had lost 10 pounds, and it seemed like a billion years since I had even smelled the deliciousness of any eatable.  My mom only gave me a sip of water and a nibble of food when she brought me home because she thought I was a little out of it (more than usual).  Sheesh!  Doesn't she know that I have an iron stomach.  A little drunkenness will not keep me from food.  So in protest I refused to rest until after a proper dinner was served.

You can't make me sleep!
Finally it was dinner time, and now I'm doing much better with food in my tummy. Of course, I didn't think it was enough.  After all, I did miss breakfast and lunch.  Where is that food, mom?

Give me the food woman!
Yep, cone or no cone, I wasn't too proud to beg...but mom and dad just kept laughing at my funny faces.

What?  Do I have something on my face?
Gampy came over to see me, but no treats from him either.

Oh, come on!
 Not even a "jimmy" could change their minds.

This is ridiculous!
I guess I have to admit that I was a bit worn out last night and couldn't wait for bed time. And I suppose that my parents made up for the lack of food with lots of kisses and cuddling.  So overall I can't complain really.  I feel good and am doing great!  But I do hope that today cone = treats, and lots of them!

We won't have the results of the histopath for another week or so, but I will be sure to let you all know when we hear something.  Thanks again for all of your thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Payton

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya Payton,

You are a lovely pug girl and it's a pity that the Big Ocean is between us.

We wish you all the best and send you our love. You are surrounded by good friends and family and this is the most important in life.

Love from Berlin
Your pug friend Carlos Santana and his Mum

Tucker and Lola said...

Darn Payton, they were being hardcore about the food and treats if the jimmy didn't work! Hope you get lots of stuff to eat today and I am so glad your home and doing better!

Sabrina PugTails said...

I'm so happy that you came through your surgery ok. You tell those humans of yours that starvation is NOT going to help you heal faster. Bring on the foodables!
Licks,
Sabrina

Minnie and Mack said...

Uh oh, we see that cone! But you sure do look cute in it. We can't believe it didn't make more treats and foodables happen. You are so lucky to have so many around you that love and care!

Drools and licks,
Minnie and Mack (lots and lots of XOXOXOX)

Gracie the Agility Pug said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better.

Can you please tell my sister Snap that she has to leave her cone on? You seem OK with your's but she's been flipping out with her's. Thrashing about, pawing, jumping. Alternated with standing still, staring into space, whining. Not sure we'll make it through this.

Kari in Alaska said...

I hope its all good soon!

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
dogisgodinreverse.com

Anonymous said...

Payton - kindred spirit friend - we are all routing for you here at Casa Lola. Happy to see you got the soft cone. Mama still puts me in those ridiculous plastic satellite dishes. Kisses and love to you, my friend.

Crabbie Chris said...

I am so very happy that your surgery went well, I don't tell anyone, but did you get a little nip/tuck in there? Takin' care of the love handles??
I too wore the "party cone" after my dreaded eye surgery. That was the worst, but luckily my 'rents break the rules and as long as they were with me and I behaved, I didn't have to wear it.
Now see the way I look at this, is that you're out one breakfast before surgery, then a lunch (if you eat one) and a normal dinner the day of. Not to mention all the treats. Starting a pug is not acceptable. In fact, the 'rents should be shelling out extra food. Those are 3 meals you'll never get back!!
And your Gampy...for shame not doing his job and sneaking you a treat or two.
Payton, I'm glad your feeling better and we'll keep up the juju for your ear. Now get that food! Guilt you're 'rents and that treat-free Gampy.

Meredith LeBlanc said...

Payton, we're so glad you're back in action, we were worried! It was so nice of your Gampy and Mom to fill us in on Puglet's blog.

Heal quickly our dear friend!

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Meredith & Scarlet

Kelly said...

Payton, my sweet friend,
I am so glad that you came right through your procedure! I am sure going to be sending all my love and prayers up as we wait on those results. I am expecting GOOD news!

I hope you are being fed and spoiled rotten today!

xoxo
Pearl

Two Pugs in a Pod said...

Ok...Cone + Jimmy = RIDICULOUSly cute! Thinking good thoughts for you, little friend!

Mia said...

Payton, I SO glad you are home, cone or not!!!! I promise to smuggle some treats to you in the mail!!! No puggy should have to go through what you went through and not be properly rewarded!!! Keep a look out!! ;)

~kisses~

Mia

moPSY+MISIOber said...

Payton I'm so so happy you are feeling good after this anesthesia. It's dangerous especially for pugs, so I was very nervous waiting for any info from you. Please hug your Gampy from me, he was so nice and informed us, you're fine. And your cone !!! you are so special so even your cone is too cute :) I LOVE "What? Do I have something on my face?" picture I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Kisses Gosia

Brutus, Ellie, Pippa and Otto said...

Payton, we are so glad that you are home - even if it is with the dreaded cone!

Pugs & Kisses,

Yoda, Brutus & Ellie

Suki said...

Hi Payton,
You look cute in your cone. Keep up the milking it for all it's worth technique, parents and Gampy will give in & you will score treats.

Hugs,
Suki

Chicas Libelulas said...

Hola Payton!!
We are so glad you are doing better, but we do agree with Bella, you should get those 3 meal you missed!! The cone come with extra sympathy treat, even from Gampy!! Still sending Good Juju and Prayer so that everything will turn out Fine!!
Hugs and Bechos
Spongy,Licky & Patrick

Hank said...

Payton, honey - my little porkchop - you still look perty as ever in that cone thingy.

I'm real sorry ya had tuh go hungry. That is a AWFUL feelin'!

Tell Gampy tuh git on the stick an' start stuffin' snacks in his pockets!

XO-

Hank

The Devil Dog said...

OMG Payton, are you all right? You poor thing. I will jet right over and do my ninja thing and bring you green beans and broccoli and treats. It's bad enough you have to wear the cone of shame, but to be starved as well. The nerve of your parents!

Roxy

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Payton
I am so happy you are feeling better today and I hope you got a few little treats to eat.
Even with the cone on your head,, you know how to get to familys tenders spots- with your cute faces. And we love your cute faces too.
We are keeping our paws crossed for you.
love
tweedles

Frank The Tank said...

Oh Bless you Payton, I cannot believe what you have had to go through, I mean, NO FOOD, that’s almost the worst thing in the word! All my love, luck, good juju and Power of Pug Paw to you and your family. I hope that you feel better soon and that your results will be ok, you will be in my thoughts every moment (as you always are) I’m sure that your vet and Dr. Podell will do their best to help and care for you! I had to wear a cone when I had my dreaded “snip” done, but yours looks so very comfortable, mine was a horrible plastic thing and it was horrible, I kept walking in to things and hitting things over (have a look http://theadventuresofthetank.blogspot.com/2010/09/im-back-and-im-better.html ) I can’t believe you have to wear it for a whole two weeks! I think you looks super cute with it on, you look like you feel quite sorry for yourself and who can blame you with no food or treats, with not even a “jimmy” getting you any nibbles and no treats from your Grampy either that is the worst!!! I agree with you that your parents giving you lots of kisses and cuddles does mildly make up for no treats! ! Keep me updated on your progress and of course some story’s about life in that cone, I’m sure you will have lots of treats coming your way soon!! You will be in my prayers always Payton, Love, Licks and loads of Phugs your friend Frank xxxxxxxx

dw said...

Hey Payton, that sounds like such a tiring day! I know that cone is no fun, but at least it's gotta be better than those plastic cones (and so much better for your mama's leg's I'm sure!). Sorry you went so long without proper foodables! Sheesh! Don't they know you're a pug??

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

Payton we hope you get a super big breakfast! You get some good rest and we hope your ear heals fast.


Hugs
The Girls

a boy a girl and a pug said...

oh sweet girl!! so glad you are recovering and hopefully getting lots of rest and treats. will be praying the results come back all clear.

Buddy said...

hi,
I found you from The Daily Puglet....anyways, I just wanted to say...even though I assume you and your parents hated the cone....it's the cutest little thing I have ever seen!!! I've always seen the plastic ones, white or clear. So, I just had to say it was cute!! :-}

Salinger The Pug said...

Mom is catching up with blogging this morning (pssshhhhhhh...whatever!) and wanted to tell you that we have the same Comfy Cone!!!!

She thinks it's SOOOOO funny to tell everyPug "Don't look up when it's raining outside!" (so STOOOOPID!)

Mom says she's been emailing back and forth with your mom since your C scare started, so we knew you were ok. WHEW!

Love,
S-Dog

Pee S. Please give Gampy an extra slurpy kiss from all of us and thank him for his service! You must be so proud!!!!

Pug Slope said...

Poor little Payton. Skipped meals, no treats even from Gampy - sounds like your world was turned upside down! And a cone on top of all of that? Cones are no fun - I know from experience. At least you got one of those cool cloth cones, and not one of those GIGANTIC plastic ones my 'rents got for me once. The worst part about the cone is that it prevents us pugs from doing what we do best: resting our heads on things.

Sorry my comment is coming so late - I left a few comments on other blogs that mentioned your ear situation and forgot to leave one here! I need to catch up.

Oh yeah, that photo of you with your one ear flipped up is adorable. And a Jimmy with cone on?! I am impressed!

-Love,
Sid.

Kitty+Coco said...

P we are so behind on blogging. Just now reading this. NOTHING worse than having to wear a cone...except having to wear a huge plastic cone. At least you could maybe say you were dressing as Count Pugula or something. Kind of looks like that. I'm ordering you a round of treats STAT!

Kitty+Coco