Saturday, February 18, 2012

We interrupt this regularly scheduled weekend...

...for an APB (All Pugs Bulletin)!  I've always wanted to say that.  In all seriousness, I wanted to tell you all about a crazy stunt I pulled on Thursday night. 


When it was time to go to sleep, I ran into the bedroom and crashed.  But then I started feeling uncomfortable and restless.  After about two hours of tossing and turning, mom and dad said we needed to head to the vet.  When we got up, my equilibrium was off.  I was dizzy and had a hard time keeping my balance.  Once I convinced my 'rents that I had NOT invaded the liquor cabinet, there was no avoiding a trip to the emergency vet in the middle of the night.  Of course, once we were there my symptoms mysteriously disappeared, but the vet and mom and dad wanted to have tests done anyway.  My blood work didn't show any sign of some sort of infection, but as we found out later, my liver enzymes, that had already increased from my elevated normal in late December, have almost doubled.  [For those of you that may be new to the blog, I should say that some of my PDE medications metabolize through the liver and prolonged use can cause liver damage.]  Everyone was alarmed at such a big jump in the wrong direction.  Even though we didn't have an answer, since I seemed ok, we went home, and I have been tired but fine since.  Mom emailed Dr. Podell and he ordered a test to see if there was a build up of ammonia in my body (Hepatic Encephalopathy) that could happen as a result of a failing liver.  Mom and dad have been so worried, and I've been working so hard to tell them that it's going to be fine.  I took the test earlier today and the results came back NORMAL!  Yep, just another normal medical miracle for me!  The bad thing is now we are back to the drawing board as to why I didn't feel so good a couple of days ago and why my liver enzymes are misbehaving.  We hope to hear back from Dr. Podell early next week with a new game plan and mom has been doing a lot of on-line research.  I will make sure to keep you posted...especially if all this gets me some apple chips or even a McCheesey Burger!  In the meantime, if you have some juju to spare, I will happily take it, and mom and dad will be so thankful.  I know that they are working hard to make sure I have every opportunity to fight this like everything else I've been dealt.  I've got my game face on.


It doesn't stand a chance!  And I so very much appreciate my friends that have already been supporting us during this time.

Love,
Payton

20 comments:

Sabrina PugTails said...

Payton, how frightening, you poor dear. I'm sending you a whole boat-load of juju.
Licks,
Sabrina

Crabbie Chris said...

Well crap Payton, that's very scary for sure! Seriously....you need to stop giving your 'rents such scares. It's not the only way to get treats and super yummy eatables....all you have to do is orb them to get those. No need to go to the vet, because they stick something slimy up your butt, unless you like that...
Anyways...glad you're feeling better, seems the juju worked for ya.

dw said...

Hi Payton! I heard about this episode from Tiffy's mom when I visited there today when Salinger and Toby visited with their humans. I'm sending you a bunch of juju!!!! I just know your game face will help keep bad things away!!

Southern Fried Pugs said...

We are keeping you all in our prayers anyway. Hopefully Dr. Podell will come up with a good plan that will help you out soon. Maybe cottage cheese is in your future?

Pug Slope said...

Hi Payton! I'm so sorry to hear about your episode on Thursday night. I've been to the emergency vet for late night incidents before so I know it's no fun for you or your 'rents. I'm glad to hear that the liver test results came back normal. My parents said they know it can be frustrating to not know the causes of certain things - sometimes a "normal" result has to make you go back to the drawing board. Well, regardless we're all glad to hear you've been feeling well since then and are sending all the Good Juju we have! The Good Juju you and all the other pugs sent helped me out, as the tests for the little lump on my back came back good (I'll write about it on Monday). I owe you much Good Juju in return!

Take care little lady!

-Love,
Sid.

Tamara Watson said...

Payton,

Rupert and I are sending all the juju we can! I'm sure you will feel it hit you soon. :) In your honor, Rupert said he will do an extra long butt run on the bed tonight.

Speaking from experience, girl pugs are some of the toughest creatures on the planet, so you got this.

Tamara + Rupert

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Hi Payton
You can count on me to send juju to you, that is for sure! I am also sending love and calming thoughts to you and your pawrents.
I am glad that when you got to the vet everything seemed better. Your game face must have scared it away.
I believe in miracles, and you are my miracle friend,,, so that is how I will keep believeing.
I am also sending prayer too- yup prayers.
I know how skeeeered your pawrents are,,, so everything that I can send I will.
And I know the dr will figure out a new plan.
Thank you for sharing this with us,,, so we can send the juju, prayers and healing bubbles.
love
tweedles

Minnie and Mack said...

Oh, honey. We're sooo sorry your liver was giving you a hard time. Glad to hear that you are feeling yourself again. You are such a fighter! Your game face tells it all. Please keep us posted and let us know what Dr Podell has in mind.

Mack and I are sending extra special puggie juju non stop to you and to your very worried 'rents.

Payton you are a miracle puggie. We're also going to join Tweedles and send miracle bubbles your way as well as our prayers.

Take care of yourself, little one!

With lots of kisses, puggie hugs, and loves,
Minnie and Mack

Gracie the Agility Pug said...

I'm so glad you're doing OK. We were sending you juju all weekend (we heard about your episode on the pugblog world.

You'll be getting your winnings shortly, too. Now stay out of the booze!

Sequoia & Petunia & Emma said...

Sweet Payton we are glad to hear things are getting back to normal...you are a wild one huh!

Hugs
The Girls

Jaco said...

Hey there Payton, whew, we were excited to read about the normal results but sure are sad to hear you've been feeling poorly. Emergency vet is no fun at all. We'll be sending all our juju your way, along with some voodoo and mojo friend. Pooches smooches to you and your parents.

Tucker and Lola said...

Payton that face will for sure scare away the PDE Monster! It scared me.

We have an award for Payton on either Tucker or Lola's blog today.

Wilma said...

Payton,
Oh boy, I am so sorry you are having liver troubles again. Glad to hear you pulled off another mediclr miracle with your enzymes though. Quite a nifty trick. Ell, I can see by the look on your face, that you will be kicking butt and taking names, but I am sending along juju, to help power you up! Keep up the good fight P

Kari in Alaska said...

oh thats super scary!

Stop on by for a visit
Kari
http://dogisgodinreverse.com

Bicontinental Dachshund said...

Dear Payton,

I'll be sending you tons of juju!

Keep on wagging,
Tootsie

Sammy and Neko said...

Is there anything we can do besides sending lots of juju to you? Please let us know. Whatever it takes will do it for Payton !!

Buddy said...

sorry, we are late to this blog posting, sweet P, but mom is still adjusting to her 3rd shift hours and we are all adjusting to different walking and napping times.
Payton, I know it's your "game face" which I love, but mom always laughs at your expressions!!!!! She has never seen such a serious pug mug!!!! LOL!!!
Lots of sweet good juju for you payton and for your 'rents too!!!!

RebTee said...

Payton! Mama's news reader wasn't updating, so she just told me this story now. My paws are crossed, and all my puggie juju is going out to you. Get your liver in shape, Missy!

Michelle + Myko said...

Oh Payton I am just seeing this now! I am glad to hear you are doing better, but I bet you gave your rents quite a scare! I really hope Dr. Podell calls with good news and an explanation. We are sending as much juju as we can muster your way. Although with a game face like that, you have got this one in the bag:)

Lots of pug love!

tubby3pug said...

WE are thinking of you and your parents. They mus tbe so scared. We will send all our good juju your way.
Urban Hounds