Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Health update and a new Award

I can't thank all of my friends enough for all of the prayers, positive thoughts, juju, healing bubbles, and the like that you have sent me.  I can feel them! 


I have been more tired than normal and don't like to stray far from mom at all, especially her lap, but there has been no need for another trip to the vet!  When I told you about my recent late night issues, I promised to fill you in on the game plan from Dr. Podell right after he talks to us.  Mom had scheduled a Wordless Wednesday post [i.e. LAZY post] for today, but I told her we needed to delay it since we heard from Dr. P Monday night.  He had some good news and some bad news.  It's always good to start with the bad news...well because there are so many factors going on with my health and condition (yes, I'm proud to be high maintenance and complicated), we can't rule out that there isn't something more serious going on with my liver despite the normal ammonia reading from Saturday.  However, the good news is that he thinks there is a possibility that my liver is just working over-time because of an intestinal infection that is minor enough not to show up on the blood tests.  So I'm on an antibiotic for a couple of weeks and then we'll repeat all the tests to see how things are.  He also recommended that we drop my dosage of phenobarbital slightly.  This scared dad because I don't always do well with change, but mom is ok with it because she figures it probably should have been adjusted anyway since I've dropped 2.5 lbs - a significant amount of weight for us small dogs.  Phenobarbital is one of the liver's major offenders since the drug is metabolized through the liver.  Please keep the prayers coming that this course of action is just what I needed and doesn't cause more problems and questions!

On another note, somewhat related, my friend Lola of A Pug's Tale by Lola created a beautiful and meaningful award, and she gave it to me!  I am so honored that she thought of me as one of the first recipients of the Courage Award!!


At any time, if you know of any blogger that has shown great courage, bravery, and strength by fighting illness, death, injury, horrible backgrounds, living with advanced age issues and other related reasons, please pass it on to show how much you love and admire them.  We will put our thinking cap on, but right now mom has been so busy and as a result I am already so behind in commenting that we will just say thank you to Lola for now.  So thank you, Lola!  Thank you very much.

Love,
Payton

23 comments:

Chfnman said...

Certainly I'm prejudiced but Lola got it right giving this to my Grandpug! There isn't a tougher, braver, more loving little pug on the planet! I love you Payton!

Gampy

Idaho PugRanch said...

Dear Payton, We continue to pray for you and your mom & dad everyday. You definately deserve the courage award!
Our mom & dad brought home a surprise for us last night. A baby puglet sister!! Not alot of sleep last night!
puglove & prayers
Bailey, Hazel & baby Olive

Sabrina PugTails said...

Payton, thank your mom for delaying your Wordless Wednesday post to update us.
Congratulations on your new award. If anyone is deserving of such an award for courage, it is you. Kudos for Lola for recognizing you.
Licks,
Sabrina

Noodles said...

Hi Payton,
You SO deserve that award as you are the bravest most incredible survivor I know! I think the bad news wasn't all that bad and you have such great 'rents and doctor that I know it will be all right.
Love Noodles

dw said...

Payton, I sure hope the good news overrides the bad news and that the change to the medication sure works out okay! You're such a brave and strong little puggie, but yes, you've been fighting and struggling at times - and that makes it even more special for you to receive the courage award! You totally deserve this one, my friend!! I will most definitely keep the prayers and juju coming your way!

Sammy and Neko said...

Oh, perfecty award for Payton!! Please get better so we could meet and play~

Lovies and Jujus~

Sammy

Michelle + Myko said...

Payton you are incredibly courageous! You and your rents are in our thoughts and prayers.

pug love

Meredith LeBlanc said...

OK, we came through reading this with big smiles because we see this as super fantastic news and are ever optimistic, then we read Gampy's note and it made us teary. Payton ~ Miss P ~ you are one lucky Puggy to have such wonderful parents and grandparents.

We have you in our prayers!

♥♥♥
Meredith & Scarlet

Pug Slope said...

Payton, I'm very glad to hear you are doing well. I'm keeping my paws crossed that the antibiotics help those liver levels and that the change in medication will help to put less strain on your liver. I will continue to send all the good Juju your way! Like the others have said you are a very courageous pug and an inspiration to us all!

Love,
Sid.

Tucker and Lola said...

Payton you definitely deserved this award as do so many of our friends. Mom just thought about something and can't believe she did remember it when first reading about your liver. A couple of years ago Tucker's enzymes went through the roof and we thought he was going into liver failure. Mom was a wreck, cause for some unknown reason she likes him. He did the same thing Payton is doing. He had had a stomach upset the week before that lasted several days. The Vet also put him on antibiotics thinking his liver was just working too hard because of the stomach upset he had. After the antibiotics and about two weeks of rest they repeated the test and his enzymes levels had dropped back down. Not completely normal, but he has been on Phenobarbital for a long time so they probably won't ever be normal again but normal enough that he wasn't in danger of liver failure. So we are going to keep our paws crossed and the juju flowing that Payton has a good result too!

Tweedles -- that's me said...

Payton
My sweetest friend.
This award is the most perfect for you, because you are so brave. It was sooo kind of Lola at Pug'a tale to make the award,, and so kind to send to you.
We all love you and your family Payton. There is not a minute where we are not thinking of all of you.
The antibiotics will help you Payton, we just know it.
Remember the bubbles filled with love are circling around you and your family!

i love you
tweeedles

Unknown said...

Dear Payton Puggy, sending you so much love. We are also directing special healing kisses from heaven from your guardian angel, Winnifred Wigglepants, who watches over you every day. Has your doctor put you on Denamarin yet? a supplement to help the liver? Howard is on it, and so are a few of our rescue pugs who have liver challenges. It is very good!
xoxoxoxoxoxox
Aunty Nancy and your cousinpuggies in Texas

Tiffy said...

I think the doctors are all wrong, Payton. You are losing weight because you want to look fit and trim for your photo shoot, right? Me too!

Tell your parents not to worry so much. You are a fighter and PDE is no match for you.

Tiffy

Punchbugpug said...

How can you not get better surrounded by such a huge amount of love???? We can't wait to meet you in May!!!

Hugs,
Punchy & her crew

Tamara Watson said...

Payton, it sounds like Dr. Podell and your folks have a good plan. Rupert and I will send you a constant stream of good juju.

You look super cute in that picture!

Rupert + Tamara

Minnie and Mack said...

Hi Payton, sorry we missed your post until today. Things have been crazy around here...

We have been sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear what Dr P had to say. It sounds like a good plan and we will continue to send puggie juju and have you and your family in our thoughts and prayers!

Drools and licks,
Minnie and Mack

Kelly said...

Payton, sweet friend I am so sorry you have not been well. I am just getting caught up on all of this.

Please know that you are in our thoughts as those doctors and your sweet parents work to make the best decisions to keep you feeling well! You are so loved!
xoxoxo

Pearl

a boy a girl and a pug said...

Oh poor payton...we are sending lots of prayers your way. Hope they get the meds just right and in the mean time rest up and do lots fo cuddling this weekend.

tubby3pug said...

Congrats on your award, it is so well deserved! You are in our thoughts. Your parents are such an inspiration and so are you

Suki said...

Hi Payton,

I say a special prayer for you each night before I go to bed.

Hugs,
Suki

Rumpydog said...

Payton, you are an inspiration! I hope that all goes well with you and that your liver gets back to normal. Much love to you!

Bunk said...

Congratulations on your award, Payton! You of all pugs really deserve this award! I think it is great since you are so courageous. You always try your best to be very positive and I am truly inspired by you! I am sending all my paw prayers your way and hoping your recover fully soon!

Minnie and Mack said...

Payton, we were so worried about you. We're keeping our puggie toes crossed and lots of juju going that the new regime works wonders! We sure don't want you under the weather.

You are the most brave puggie we know and certainly deserving of this wonderful award, along with your family.

Please keep us posted and keep up the healing spirit!

Love and kisses,
Minnie and Mack